Friday, June 15


Well the day started with the normal look at how Christine was doing (ed…Christine Christine…yawn)

10 bench presses wer enough for me


Later I headed into town and bumped into Juan Manuel, the guy from Sala Paul who helped me find a flat. He is doing up a 4 bedroom apartment he bought 8 years ago with a view to rent it out as a bed and breakfast. It is still in the process of being renovated but boy what a location. I will certainly be keeping tabs on it over the next few months.
We decided to adjourn to Bar Moderna, definitely the place to be and be seen-ish. It’s just over the road from his new place which is another plus point. We were standing at the bar when a good friend of Juan Manuel’s came across.
“My name is Maria and I’m the only gay in the village”…I spat my beer out.
He wasn’t joking either what a character and what a laugh.
“Well are one of you two going to buy me a beer?”… as he tapped us with his fan. What can you do but laugh and buy him/her a beer.
 We had a couple more each and Juan Manuel turned to Maria and asked ..
“So how old are you Maria?”
“Darling, I’ll put it this way, I was the stewardess on Noah’s Ark”
Laugh or what.
Like a whirlwind Maria left us for pastures new and I am sure another bar.

Its even written on his Fan


We finished up and headed our separate ways.

I had arranged to meet a couple of mates at a local Karaoke bar before the Spain V Ireland match started and I had some time to kill so I decided to give Christine a bit of a wash at the garage. Time was tight by the time a had sprayed her down so I quickly jumped in and turned the key to start her up.

Click……nothing.

“Come on Christine” I found myself saying in the car “Now what’s up?”

I turned the key again…Click……. Nothing

“So you don’t like being washed, is that what you are trying to tell me?”

The beauty of having a light car is that I was able to push her singlehandedly out of the washing bay and back into the sun. 

I flipped open the bonnet and  expected to see water all over the engine compartment. It was bone dry!!. No water had got in at all. So what the hell was it then ? I thought.

I jumped in again and turned the key again…

Click…Brrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummm, Bruuuummmmmmmmmm 

So what was all that about?  Toys out of the pram at getting wet me thinks.

Washing behind the ears caused a little tantrum.


I jumped back out slammed the bonnet and headed off to the Karaoke bar. After a quick beer there, I didn’t sing by the way, I headed for La Bodeguita Indiana as there is a bit of atmosphere there to watch the game.
Last time Juan Ma, the owner of LA Bodeguita Indiana Bar, (ed…are they all called Juan Ma?) showed Spain play, he offered a free BBQ afterwards. This time on the text message, he was offering presents.

I pulled on the Spanish shirt we were all given last time, and headed to the bar.
On arrival I was given a pen and two of those long blow up platic tubes that you slap together. Well they made a racket. Also on the present list were little trumpets that emitted the loudest hoot with the smallest of puffs. The ones that apparently have been banned form some stadia.

Juan Ma decided that these would not be given out as they were too loud. All good until Manolo turned up with his 3 year old kid who somehow got his hands on one of these little horns and blew it incessantly from start to finish of the match. His dad tried to get it off him, with the promise that the two inflatable sticks were more fun, the kid wasn’t having any of it. And finally Manolo gave up…classic. It certainly added for more atmospheres I have to say.

Manolo's son soon realised that this way round worked better


Spain won 4 – 0 and I left. I just hope John Terry and crew can put up as good a performance.

Come on England.

No comments:

Post a Comment